Toasted s’mores ice cream is the perfect way to enjoy all of your favorite s’mores flavors at home! Smoky, toasted marshmallows, crunchy and sweet chocolate all wrapped up in a decadent graham cracker ice cream base. Yum!
I can’t remember who showed me how to make my first s’more, where I was when I had it or even what that first bite of chewy marshmallow, crunchy graham cracker and half melted chocolate tasted like, I can say with confidence that s’mores have always been an important part of my life.
These days I only really get to eat s’mores when I visit my family in magical Maine a few times a year. I wanted an ice cream full of the same flavors that I could make in the comfort of my own kitchen. Mission accomplished.
What are ‘S’mores’?
S’mores are a delicious dessert that are often enjoyed by a campfire. The name literally means ‘some more’ because, you’re always going to want some more of them!
The basic structure is a toasted marshmallow, topped with a piece of Hershey’s chocolate and sandwiched between two graham crackers. Are you drooling yet?
How Can I Toast Marshmallows Without a Campfire?
Great question! For some reason my apartment building won’t let me start campfires on my balcony (I guess I can see the logic in that) so I have two methods of toasting marshmallows at home!
- The first one is using a kitchen torch. This method is slow but allows for some very precise torching.
- The second method is using the broil setting in the oven! I simply fill a baking dish or cast iron skillet with a layer of marshmallows and set it to broil for 3-5 minutes. Keep an eye on them because they will go from lightly toasted to burnt very quickly.
Do I Need an Ice Cream Machine?
Yes, this recipe does require an ice cream machine. If you are set on getting those toasted s’mores flavors without having to churn ice cream batter, check out my no churn graham cracker ice cream. Toss in some toasted marshmallows and Hershey’s chocolate and you are all set!
Love toasted s’mores ice cream and ready for more s’mores treats? Here are a few to get you started:
- S’mores Popcorn
- Lemon Strawberry S’mores
- S’mores Brownies
- Cereal Milk S’mores Milkshakes
- S’mores Cheese Ball
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 5 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 package of graham crackers
- 3 Hershey’s milk chocolate bars, chopped roughly
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Combine milk and heavy cream in a saucer and heat over medium heat. Meanwhile, vigorously whisk together egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl. When milk mixture begins to simmer, temper into egg mixture. If the temperature isn't at 160 degrees, return it to the stovetop and heat on low, whisking continuously, until it reaches 160 degrees.
- Transfer the ice cream batter to a large bowl and add graham crackers. Stir a few times to submerge the graham crackers (they will start to dissolve) and set in fridge. Cover and refrigerate until completely cool (about eight hours or overnight).
- Once cool, strain out the remaining graham cracker pieces and churn batter according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Meanwhile, set the oven to broil and place the marshmallows on a baking sheet. Broil on high for about five minutes, or until they start to brown. Transfer the marshmallows to a plate in the fridge until you are ready to add them to the batter.
- In the last few minutes of the churning, mix in chocolate and marshmallows. Freeze until ready to enjoy.