Last summer, I discovered sweet potato bites. Let me explain. A friend of my mother’s had brought sweet potato slices topped with guacamole and bacon as an appetizer to a cocktail party I was at. I took one bite, and then another, and another, until I had eaten nearly a dozen. Can you tell I liked them? I can’t get these sweet potato pancake appetizers out of my mind.
With the Super Bowl just around the corner, I’ve been on the lookout for fun appetizers to bring to a viewing party. Last year I made a s’mores cheese ball which was amazing, but far from healthy. I’m not going to claim this recipe is a healthy alternative but let’s call it ‘healthier’.
Other bonus? These are super quick and easy to make! I used to be the early one in my friend group but these days, I’m always baking at the last minute and running just a few minutes (or more than a few) late. These adorable mini pancakes are super quick to assemble and take with you on-the-go.
I’m all about bacon but for vegetarian football enthusiasts, swap the bacon crumbles for mini tomato slices!
Are you heading to a Super Bowl party this year? What will you be making?
- 1 ⅓ cup Birch Benders sweet potato pancake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon of butter, divided
- 1 cup of guacamole
- 4 slices of cooked bacon, crumbled
- ¼ cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- Combine the water and pancake mix. Heat a skillet on medium high heat. Once the skillet is warm, add one teaspoon of butter. Scoop teaspoons of batter onto the pan. Flip the pancakes once you start seeing bubbles in the batter. Cook until lightly browned on both sides.
- Lay out mini pancakes on a tray or large plate. Scoop guacamole into an icing bag and cut a small hole in the end. Pipe guacamole onto the pancakes once they have cooled.
- Top each pancake with guacamole with either crumbled bacon or cherry tomato slices.
The pancake mix featured in this post was provided by Birch Benders. All opinions are my own.