Strawberry ice cream is good. Strawberry ice cream filled with brownie batter is even better.
The weather is warming up in DC which means it is becoming more socially acceptable to indulge in ice cream all the time. Well, maybe not all the time, bathing suit season is just around the corner so I’ll settle for most of the time.
This ice cream is a happy result of good timing. I’ve had brownie on the mind ever since devouring the Oreo cheesecake bars featured on Monday so I thought I’d find another excuse to enjoy more brownie. Since strawberries are coming back into season (finally), I knew I had to put them together to make one magically cold treat.
The great thing about this recipe is the brownie batter doesn’t need to be homemade. If you just want to add some brownie batter to your ice cream but don’t want to make brownies from scratch, just snag a box of pre-made mix from the grocery store! Do you love brownie batter more than you love strawberry? Totally understandable. Add more than just ½ cup of brownie batter then!
- 4 Large egg yolks
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1 Cup milk
- 2 Cups heavy cream
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Cups strawberries, stem removed
- Juice from 1 lemon
- ½ Cup of brownie batter (store bought or homemade)
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar vigorously until light
- Heat milk and heavy cream over medium heat until simmering (about 180F)
- Temper milk and cream into egg mixture
- Mix in vanilla
- Add strawberries and lemon juice to blender and pulse a few times to break them up before pouring the mixture into the ice cream batter
- Mix well before covering and refrigerating until completely cool (about 8 hours or overnight)
- Once cool, churn according to manufacturer’s instructions
- During the last few minutes of the churning process, add the brownie batter in, one spoonful at a time