It’s been two weeks since my last s’mores recipe so I feel that an appropriate amount of time has passed for me to share another one! Since I spent the weekend catching up on TV, smores popcorn felt like the most perfect treat to share.
I made this for a Super Bowl party on Sunday and it was such a hit! Plus it made so much popcorn that I was able to bring it to work on Monday to keep snacking on it. Between catching up on emails and buckling down to get ahead on the week, Mondays can be rough. Mondays filled with s’mores popcorn however are just a little less rough. Some might even say, smooth.
The last few weeks have been so full of new things that there’s something nice and comforting about a familiar set of flavors. I started a new job and don’t work from home anymore. This has been great in so many ways, namely that I interact with people throughout the day, not just my cat and dog. Increasing my social time and changing my daily routine has also had its challenges. I’m a pretty anxious person and being back in an office is definitely bringing back up a lot of the emotions and anxiety I thought I had gotten under control. I guess you never really beat anxiety, it’s more of an ongoing battle.
The base recipe of this s’mores popcorn is an adaptation on one of my absolute favorites. I first made it a few years ago as a topping to butterscotch mousse. I’ve made a lot of sweets since I started the blog nearly three years ago but this chocolate popcorn remains one of my favorites. Of course, this new s’mores upgrade might top the list.
It’s got the crunch we all love in popcorn, mixed in with soft marshmallows, and sweet sweet Hershey’s chocolate pieces. So many of my favorite things.
- 10 cups popped plain popcorn
- ¾ cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons (10g) cocoa powder
- 2 XL Hershey’s chocolate bars, roughly chopped and divided
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- ? teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 ½ cups marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminium foil and set aside. Place popcorn in a large bowl and set aside.
- Combine sugar, cocoa powder, ½ of an XL Hershey’s chocolate bar and corn syrup in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir using a wooden spoon until the sugar has dissolved and the liquid comes to a simmer. Remove from heat and mix in the salt and the vanilla. Pour over the popcorn and mix to cover evenly.
- Transfer popcorn to baking sheet and lay flat. Bake for 20 minutes. Cover popcorn with graham cracker crumbs, mix about to cover evenly and return to the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Let popcorn cool on the baking sheet. While this is happening, mix in the marshmallows and the rest of the Hershey’s chocolate pieces.