Summer is almost here and that means one thing: s’mores! The classic american treat is quite possibly one of my messiest vices. But it doesn’t have to be.
These bars have all the traditional s’mores taste without the traditional mess.
Plus, these bars are so easy to make, they would be a great activity to do with kids (as long as you handle the hot marshmallow portion). If like me however you don’t regularly have children apprentices around, these are simple to make for potlucks or afternoons spent binging on Netflix. Speaking of Netflix, have you caught up on the new season of The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt? If not, go get on that. I’ll wait.
Once these bars are set, they are easy to manipulate into any shape so if you have some fun cookie cutters, now’s the time to bring them out! Otherwise follow my lead and stick with traditional geometric shapes.
Be warned. If you leave these in the heat for an extended period of time the mess will be very authentic. I learned this firsthand when I accidentally packed a batch of these s’mores bars in my golf bag last week. Needless to say our seventh hole snack involved a lot more melted chocolate than usual.
- 1 Large bag (10 ounces) of marshmallows
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- 5 Cups of graham cracker cereal
- 4 Hershey’s milk chocolate bars (1.55 ounces each)
- Line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper and set aside
- In a pot over medium heat, melt together the marshmallows, butter and vanilla
- When they are just about completely melted, remove from the heat and mix in the graham cracker cereal
- Spoon half of it into the prepared pan and flatten it with a buttered rubber spatula
- Break up chocolate into pieces and cover the graham cracker layer
- Top with the rest of the graham cracker and flatter again with the spatula
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until set