Red, white and blue pretzels are the festive, patriotic treat you need in your life!
I’m always looking for easy desserts to make for themed events and red, white and blue desserts are often in high demand! Whether you are baking for the Fourth of July, a debate viewing party or you’re just feeling super into America, these red, white and blue pretzels are the perfect sweet treat. And did I mention that they are super easy? Because they are.
I think the key with holiday baking is recognizing what kind of food best matches the holiday but also how your guests/friends/family will actually be eating. Giant messy pies make sense for something like Thanksgiving because everyone is seated at a table and can eat with a knife and fork. When it comes to July Fourth however, everyone is running around, it is usually pretty darn warm and the eating takes place outside, and so treats you can eat with your hands make far more sense.
Pretzels and chocolate have always been a good match because they’re the perfect combination of sweet and salty. That’s likely why these chocolate-covered pretzels are my weakness (well, one of them) so variations of this patriotic dessert are a go-to in my kitchen.
Once you master these, you can adapt them for just about anything. I brought a test batch of these to book club last week and my taste-testers’ enthusiasm was some of the highest I’ve seen. If you’re also ready to adapt these in the future, here are a few ways to do so:
- Dye the chocolate orange and use only the dark M&Ms for Halloween
- Use red and green sugar crystals for a festive Christmas snack
- Stick to the blue crystals on white chocolate for a festive Hanukkah treat
- Wow your friends during the next Super Bowl by using team colors as your guide to decorating
- 1 Cup white chocolate
- ½ Cup red, white and blue M&Ms
- 2 Tablespoons blue crystals
- 2 Tablespoons cinnamon sugar
- 1-2 Cups of pretzels (depending on how chocolate-y you want to make your treats)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a non-stick mat and set aside.
- Place chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for about 2 minutes or until fully melted, stopping to stir the chocolate every 30 seconds. While chocolate is melting, place M&Ms in a ziplock bag and roll over it with a rolling pin to crush the candies. Place M&Ms in a small bowl and set aside. Do the same with the blue crystals and the cinnamon sugar.
- When the chocolate is melted, remove from microwave and set next to the candies and sugars. Dip pretzel into chocolate and then dip into one of the three topping options. Place on prepared baking sheet and repeat until all of the pretzels are used up. Place baking sheet in fridge to set for about 30 minutes.