I love a good theme so when July 4th rolls around I’m all about the red, white and blue chocolate bark!
Festive bark is one of the easiest ways to pull together something sweet but still festive. Once you melt all of the chocolate and candy melts, the fridge is doing most of the work for you.
I always spend July 4th with my family. While Canada day is our big celebration (did you know that I’m Canadian?), there’s always some sort of gathering planned for Independence Day too. Over the past few years, I’ve taken on the responsibility of making dessert so I’m always on the hunt for new red, white and blue inspiration.
Chocolate bark is one of my favorite options for a couple reasons:
- In Maine, it is cool enough at night that the chocolate doesn’t melt all over everyone.
- It’s easy to make large quantities of the bark and split it up in a way that large groups can take a piece and eat it on the go.
- Bark is so versatile! I can top it with so many red, white and blue toppings that there’s no way for it not to look festive!
I told one of my coworkers that I was going to be making this and she thought I was going to be manually sorting the M&Ms by color. While I appreciate her faith in my dedication to baking on theme, there is a far easier solution. I stumbled upon a stack of red, white and blue M&Ms in the checkout line at my local Safeway so I was saved from needed to search for the colors I wanted. Candy companies are constantly producing limited-edition flavors and packs around holidays. Now that you know what to look for, I’m sure you’ll find some too!
The key with making chocolate bark is that you won’t want it to be too thick. The thinner it is, the easier it will be to break into pieces. If you plan to eat it in one go as a large block though, ignore this advice. I like using a rubber spatula to move the chocolate around on the pan while it is setting to make it into the size and width of my choice. Bonus: I get to lick the spoon clean before I clean up!
- 8 Ounces of chocolate
- 1 Cup blue candy melts
- 1 Cup red candy melts
- ? Cup crushed red white and blue M&Ms
- ¼ Cup red white and blue star sprinkles
- Prepare a baking sheet by covering with a non stick mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler, once fully melted, pour over prepared baking sheet and use a rubber spatula to shape it into a wide rectangle. Place the blue and red candy melts into bowls (one color per bowl) and place in the microwave. Microwave for up to 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until fully melted.
- Pour candy melts over chocolate and use the spatula to spread it. Top with M&Ms and sprinkles. Refrigerate until firm.