Oatmeal makes for a hearty breakfast so oats should also make a hearty ice cream, right? My logic may be wrong but I’m so glad I followed my instincts on this one.
I’ve been eating nothing but pumpkin these past few weeks (or so it feels looking back on my Instagram) so I wanted to change things up this week. I often think of oats as a breakfast food but the truth of the matter is that they can be built in to meals at any time of day. If you’ve never had oatmeal ice cream go now and find some. seriously.
The combination of the sweet cream base with the oats and pretzels makes for the perfect pairing of sweet and salty.
- 2 Cups heavy cream
- 1 Cup milk
- 5 Large egg yolks
- ⅔ Cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ Cup old fashion oats
- 2 Cups chocolate covered pretzels, roughly chopped
- Warm heavy cream and milk over medium heat
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar
- Once milk mixture reaches a simmer, temper into egg mixture
- Mix in oats
- Refrigerate until completely cool, about 8 hours or overnight
- Once completely cool, pass batter through sieve to remove oats
- Churn in ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions
- In the last 3 minutes, mix in chocolate covered pretzels
Pin for later: