The perfect mix of creamy and crunchy, this no churn chocolate pretzel ice cream is sure to become your new favorite frozen treat!
My winter sweaters have been in my regular rotation for the past few weeks so it’s safe to say that summer is behind us. It might seem strange that when the temperature drops to below 40 I’m still craving ice cream but hey, I can’t control my cravings. Enter the chocolate pretzel ice cream.
I’ve been on a no churn kick for the last few months and I think that’s largely because everyone in my life seems to love learning about shortcuts in the kitchen! Since many of us live in tiny kitchens, it’s nice to have recipes that don’t require extra tools.
Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE my ice cream machine. I’d be lost without it. That being said, I understand that not everyone is prioritizing an ice cream machine when planning what to do with their tiny storage space. I don’t have an Instant Pot, for example, but I’ve somehow found room for an ice cream machine, a raclette machine, an indoor s’mores machine and three different coffee machines. We all make room for the things we really want.
A few years ago, I made an oatmeal ice cream with chocolate covered pretzels that was a big hit on the blog! Apparently I’m not the only one who enjoys the sweet and salty combination that comes from throwing pretzels into a sweet ice cream base.
This ice cream builds on that obsession with chocolate covered pretzels and adds in my new favorite candy bar – the Hershey’s Gold Bar. Say what you will about their dorky advertising campaign to launch the new product, I’m a big fan of them! Chocolate stuffed with pretzels and peanuts adds to the texture balance in the ice cream (more crunchy to balance out the creamy base) and the sweet and salty nature of the chocolate bar mirrors the sweet and salty in the chocolate covered pretzels. Basically this is like the oatmeal ice cream but easier to make and ever more delicious.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup chocolate covered pretzels, roughly chopped
- 1 cup Hershey's Gold Pretzels & Peanuts bar pieces, roughly chopped
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip the heavy cream and the powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. Mix in the vanilla extract. Gently fold the sweetened condensed milk into the heavy cream. This is your ice cream base.
- Once the base is completed, mix in the pretzels and chocolate bar pieces. Reserve a handful for the topping.
- Transfer the ice cream into a Tupperware, doing one cup at a time. Between each cup, drizzle in some of the melted chocolate. Repeat until all of the ice cream is in the Tupperware. Top with the remaining chocolate, pretzels and candy bars.
- Freeze until solid, about 5 hours.