There isn’t much that I love more than a beautiful mason jar dessert, but mini mason jar desserts definitely make the list.
Confession time. I’m of the belief that all things mini tend to be more adorable, mason jars included. Think about it: puppies, tiny terrariums, teacup piglets, the miniature cooking trend. They all have one thing in common, namely being adorable and mini. Plus, when it comes to food, logic dictates that if it’s smaller I can eat twice as much. Right?
Mason jar desserts solve everyone’s biggest baking challenge, namely storing and transporting sweets. Since I spend the majority of my week at my day job, I do my baking in the evenings and bring treats into work the next day as a snack. Unlike my tupperware that seems to jumble everything and the pie dish I feel silly carrying on the metro, mason jars keep everything in place and fit nicely in my work bag. All I need to do is throw the lid on and tuck it into my bag, right next to my mason jar salad. Actually probably don’t do that, I can’t even begin to image the noise two jars of food would make when they bump into each other every time you jiggle your bag.
This week, I’ve been craving peanut butter so I knew exactly what to make for myself! If you ever have serious peanut butter cravings like I do, this is the perfect quick fix for you. The crunch of the cookie pieces in these mini mason jar peanut butter cookie parfaits act as a nice textural contrast to the smooth creaminess of the rest of this dessert, much like the simple vanilla cookie flavor is a nice foil to the intense peanut butter flavor in the cream.
The recipe makes two jars so you can share it for dessert or eat one yourself and save the other one for the next day. Just remember that the longer you wait to eat it, the less crunch the cookies pieces will retain. Of course, if you’re feeling really hungry you can make more of the recipe and fill larger mason jars. It won’t be quite as adorable but it will still be delicious!
- 1 ½ Cup heavy cream (separated)
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon granulated sugar (separated)
- 3 Generous tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 Cup vanilla wafer cookies
Recipe (Makes two servings)
- Whip ½ cup heavy cream with 1 teaspoon sugar in a large bowl until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes, and then set aside
- Next, whip remaining heavy cream, sugar and peanut butter until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes, and then set aside
- Place cookies in a ziploc bag and crush using rolling pin
- Place heavy creams in two separate icing bags for easy piping, cutting a ½ inch hole to pipe from
- Line up your mini mason jars and start to layer your three ingredients until filled to the top