Sometimes I make giant tarts to share with all my friends. Other times, I’m just making dessert for Colin so I don’t want the temptation of a ton of leftovers. Since I’m traveling later this week and didn’t want any of this to go to waste, I knew that a small batch of these mini chocolate caramel tarts would be just what I needed to make my Monday better.
Colin and I are in the middle of a crazy few weeks of travel so finding a night for a ‘date night’ was not an easy feat. Since I was only going to see him one day this week, I knew that whipping up something tasty (but still super easy so I didn’t spend the entire day in the kitchen) was a must. Anyone show how much they love people through food? I’m worried that the longer Colin and I are married, the more I’m going to bake. Which reminds me, I really should start running again.
I don’t like playing favorites but if I had to pick a favorite part of these tarts, I’d have to go with the caramel. As you slice into each mini tart, your fork moves effortlessly through the creamy chocolate before you feel the crunch of the graham cracker crust. Then, that smooth caramel catches you by surprise. Unless of course you were the one who made them, in which case you knew exactly what was going to ooze out from underneath the chocolate with that first bite.
Too dramatic? No worries, I get that not everyone has been binging ABC dramas all weekend. How about this: the caramel is the perfect middle layer to these decadent mini chocolate caramel tarts. It sits unassumingly between the fluffy dark chocolate topping and the sweet and crumbly graham cracker crust, just waiting for its turn to shine. There I go getting all sorts of dramatic again. #sorrynotsorry
If the caramel wasn’t a major selling point for you (and it should be), I’ll leave you with this. These decadent mini chocolate caramel tarts are fancy enough for date night but easy enough for a treat-yourself night.
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup + 1/3 cup heavy cream, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ? cup chocolate shavings (optional topping)
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs and 5 tablespoons of butter. Once combined, press into two small tart pans. Refrigerate while you make the caramel.
- In a small saucepan, combine the granulated sugar and the water. Heat on medium high heat. Leave undisturbed while the sugar melts. Swirl the pan once or twice to make sure the water covers all of the sugar as it melts. When it turns amber, remove from the heat and use a wooden spoon to mix it a few times before adding in ¼ cup heavy cream and the remaining butter. It will bubble up so keep stirring until it is smooth again. Remove tart shells and divide caramel between the two tarts. Set aside to make the top layer.
- Place the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 10 second increments, stirring between each round. Meanwhile, whisk the remaining heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Fold the melted chocolate into the heavy cream. Divide between the two tarts and top with optional chocolate shavings.