The holiday baking season is now in full swing and while I’m just about ready to move on from cookies, I thought I’d give y’all one of my favorites before moving on. If you love chocolate, peppermint bark and generally festive foods, these chocolate peppermint bark cookies are for you!
This past week was a tough one for us because poor Onyx was in and out of the urgent care. He’s been nothing but healthy (okay, so maybe a little overfed) since we got him last fall but all of a sudden that wasn’t the case. I was an absolute mess all weekend and I logged way too much time in the car driving the 15 minute drive between my apartment and the vet. Needless to say I ate my feelings, a lot. And by feelings I mean chocolate peppermint bark cookies.
Onyx is on the mend but I still have lots of cookies to get me through the rest of his recovery. The good news is you don’t have to face a family medical emergency to enjoy these cookies. They’re addicting though so be ready to wolf down a half dozen little cookies before you share them with anyone else.
These cookies are wonderfully gooey and filled with crunchy pieces of peppermint bark. Ghirardelli’s squares of peppermint bark are my favorite holiday-season checkout line indulgence, so I like to keep bags of it in my freezer. I don’t know why, but I love those little squares even more when they are crisp and cold. If you don’t have any on hand, the Hershey Kiss candy cane flavor makes a pretty tasty alternate snack.
These cookies will look puffy when they come out of the oven but will flatten out as they cool. Don’t worry, that’s totally normal! I like my cookies on the thinner side so I can eat them guilt-free but don’t worry, they’re still so so gooey. Just thinking about these is making my mouth water, I might need just one more to get me through photo editing so I can get this recipe live and the rest of you can make some.
Have you also been stocking your kitchen with holiday cookies of every kind? What have been your favorite cookies to make this holiday season?
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ¼ cups (250g) packed light brown sugar
- 1 ¼ cup (250g) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups (315g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (60g) cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoons salt
- 10 Ghirardelli squares of peppermint bark, roughly chopped
- Cream Butter and sugars together in the bowl of a stand mixer until lighter in color and fully combined. Mix in one egg at a time, followed by the vanilla extract.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Turn the mixer to low and add in the dry ingredients in three batches. Mix until everything is just fully combined. Use a spatula to fold in the peppermint bark squares. Cover and refrigerate for an hour.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Scoop balls of dough using a small cookie dough scoop (1½ -2 tablespoons in size) and arrange them on a baking sheet, leaving some space between them to account for an expanding cookie. Bake for ~ 9 minutes. Let cool for 5-10 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack.