As a kid, picking between ice cream or cake on my birthday seemed like a monumental choice. As an adult however, my decisions seem to have much higher stakes. That being said I get to eat ice cream AND cake for my birthday, often for breakfast, so it all kind of works out.
If you’ve been to Sweet Sundays lately, you might have noticed a lack of new content. I’ve taken a bit of a blogging break this past month to take care of some things in my personal life, namely getting my anxiety in order. After falling out of my routine for so many weeks and letting a general apathy for things that previously made me so happy take control of my day-to-day, I knew that I had to pick something really great to bring me back to blogging. Enter sprinkles.
My birthday is around the corner so I’ve been testing out different recipes to treat myself with on the day. After making this ice cream though, I think I’m done testing because not much is going to top it.
Whether you have a birthday coming up, love sprinkles or just need a mid-heat wave pick-me-up, give this ice cream a try. You get cake crumbles and sprinkles in every bite, on top of the wonderfully creamy custard base. It doesn’t get much better than that.
Do you have a favorite birthday sweet treat? I’d love to hear about it!
- 1 Cup milk
- 1 ¾ Cup heavy cream
- ¾ Cup sugar
- 5 Egg yolks
- 2 Cups crumbled funfetti cake (about ¾ of a box mix), divided
- ⅓ Cup sprinkles
- ⅔ Cup white chocolate chips, divided
- Heat the milk and the heavy cream over medium heat in a saucepan. While it is heating up, vigorously whisk sugar and egg yolks together in a large bowl. When the milk and cream begins to simmer, temper into the yolk and sugar before returning to the saucepan and reducing the heat to medium low. Whisk continuously until the custard reaches a temperature of 160 degrees. This makes the eggs safe to eat. It’s important to whisk so that the ice cream doesn’t become scrambled eggs.
- Pour into a clean bowl, cover and refrigerate until cool, about 8 hours or overnight.
- Once the custard is cool, churn in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions. When there are about 5 minutes left to the churning, add all but 2 tablespoons of the funfetti cake, followed by sprinkles and ⅓ cup of white chocolate chips.
- Place ice cream in a loaf pan and top with remaining cake crumbles. Melt the remaining chocolate chips and drizzle on top. Freeze until ready to eat.