Being outdoors is awesome. I like drinking outdoors, watching movies outdoors, being athletic outdoors but most of all, I like eating outdoors. This is quite fitting because July is National Picnic Month!
The problem with eating outdoors during the summer, especially if you live in the mid-Atlantic region like I do, is that nothing stays cool for long. Because I am quick to volunteer to provide dessert when my friends and I do any sort of outdoor eating, I’ve learned to adapt to the weather and find weather-proof picnic foods.
Some criteria to keep in mind when deciding what to make for your next picnic:
- Avoid anything that might melt or lose its shape when exposed to the elements (so no frozen treats).
- Stay seasonal. There are so many yummy things in season during the summer, try to incorporate those flavors into your desserts.
- Remember that you have to get this dessert to the picnic so don’t choose something difficult to transport!
- Along the same lines, you are outdoors so handheld desserts are a must.
With a little help from the blogosphere, I’ve pulled together what I believe to be some fantastic options for any summer picnic.
What is your go-to dessert for summer picnics?
Photos clockwise from top left hand corner:
- Shortbread Toffee Cookie Bars from Cookies and Cups
- Strawberry Hand Pies from Country Living
- Double Chocolate Pudding Cookies from i Heart Naptime
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites from The Novice Chef
- Triple Chocolate S’mores Bark from A Kitchen Addiction
- Peach Rings from the Mama’s Girls
- Blueberry Pie Bites from Sugar Dish Me
- Key Lime Pie Squares from Sally’s Baking Addiction