Is there anything quite as frustrating as biting into a cookie only to discover that what you thought were chocolate chips are in fact raisins? I know, the worst. That’s why my oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are raisin-free. (Insert happy dance here)
Colin and I are just weeks away from our move to Michigan so I’ve been baking up a storm to destress. Normally this strategy is foolproof but with the wedding just a few weeks away I’m looking for stress-reduction techniques that don’t involve quite so many calories. In the meantime, I’m going to continue to enjoy chowing down on my sweet creations, like these soft and gooey cookies.
Each cookie is perfectly small, which makes them both easy to eat on the go while I try to assess what needs to come with us and what can be donated. It also makes it far too easy to accidentally devour a giant pile of them. How many small cookies fit into a giant pile you may wonder? A lot.
I’ve been sitting on this recipe for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies for a few weeks waiting for the perfect moment to make them. Also waiting for a trip to the grocery store when I didn’t forget to pick up oats. My friend Stephanie sent me this recipe with the email subject line “Yumminess Inside!” so I knew I was going to love these even before I started sneaking bites of cookie dough and way before I sat down to devour the final product.
I guess one of the perks of being an adult is that I don’t have to ‘sneak’ cookie dough anymore. I can just grab big spoonfuls and call it ‘taste testing’. As a blogger, I can also call it ‘research’. Basically, I have to eat the cookie dough, I’m doing it for my readers. Okay, maybe that last one was a stretch but at least I feel like I’ve justified that to myself. And my mom.
Do you have a recipe you’ve been waiting to make for ages? I finally got around to making these cookies and boy am I glad I did! What are you waiting to make?
Gooey cookies full of crunch and flavor in every bite.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup (200g) brown sugar
- ½ cup (100g) white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ (150g) cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a non stick mat and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugars. Mix in the eggs one at a time, followed by the vanilla extract.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Turn the stand mixer on low and combine the dry and wet ingredients. Mix in the oats and chocolate chips.
- Scoop tablespoon-sized balls onto a baking sheet. Bake for about 12 minutes. The bottom of the cookies will brown but the top will stay light in color. Let the cookies cool for 10 minutes on the tray before transferring to a cooling rack.
Lightly adapted from All Recipe’s Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Pin for later: