The 141st running of the Kentucky Derby, thought to be one of America’s greatest sporting events, is taking place on Saturday! In Washington, D.C., this means an abundance of people in bright colored pants and sun dresses drinking mint juleps on rooftops throughout the city.
I should probably explain that what I have learned over the years about horse races comes from attending races at which I rarely, if ever, see actual horses. In fact, despite living in Virginia for almost eight years, I know relatively little about horse riding culture beyond its social component.
For those who want to look the part for this year’s Run for the Roses but don’t have time to stitch, I’ve pulled together a few of my favorite derby-related needlepoint products that can prep-up any derby outfit!
- Derby Needlepoint Belt, Asher Riley
- Derby Needlepoint Coaster Set, Smathers & Branson
- Mint Julep Needlepoint Key Fob, Smathers & Branson
- Mint Julep Flask, Smathers & Branson
- Kentucky Derby Needlepoint Life Belt, Smathers & Branson
- Derby Horse Needlepoint Hat, Smathers & Branson
- Derby Needlepoint Belt, Tucker Blair
- Kentucky Derby Needlepoint Key Fob, Smathers & Branson