It’s been a few months since I mused on a Monday so I figured now was as good a time as ever.
I’ve been living in Michigan for about two months so I’ve been taking this this past week to assess how settled I feel. Just when I think our apartment is done, I keep finding a new piece of furniture that we desperately need to tie it together or another piece of art that I want reframed. I can’t tell if these things are actually necessary or whether I’m just making my life difficult. Unclear. In the meantime, I’ll just keep giving Framebridge lots of business.
Beyond our apartment, I’ve loved discovering new spots around my new city. Obviously I’m already playing favorites but I’m not even sorry about it. There’s something about a bright, beautiful spot that just draw me right in. At the top of my list right now? Le Bon Macaron! I can’t get enough of this adorable little store in the heart of Ann Arbor. How many macarons is too many to ingest in one day?
Now that we’ve gotten the fun stuff out of the way, a quick note on something that’s been top of mind this month. In the past week, it was pretty much impossible to be on Twitter or Facebook without seeing everyone’s #metoo posts. I found it comforting to know that my experience has been shared by so many others but also horrified that so many of us have dealt with various levels of harassment throughout our lives. Online movements don’t always bring about change once the awareness campaign comes to an end but I really hope this time is different. Okay, there, those are my two cents.
I was in New York this weekend and am in DC for a few days this week so sadly there will be no baking for me. Hopefully I can handle a few days beyond the confines of my kitchen. Just a few though.
On my mind this week
- It looks like I won’t be traveling for Thanksgiving this year so I’m looking for fun takes on traditional favorites. This sweet potato cake is at the top of my list!
- This thought piece on dealing with sugar gave me a lot to think about.
- Secretly healthy chocolate mousse from Broma Bakery. Yum!
- If you’re looking for a way to give back to the firefighters in Napa, my friend Lizette is running an awesome fundraiser on Go Fund Me. So proud of her efforts!
- How to buy and store flour like a pro
- Also flour bugs. So gross.
On Sweet Sundays
- Spooky Halloween Bark
- Peanut Butter Ice Cream
- Pumpkin Spice Crème Brûlée
- How to Use Food to Personalize Your Wedding