Despite what the weather in the Northeast this week would lead you to believe, spring is in fact just around the corner. Or so I’ve been told.
To get in the spring mood, and get myself thinking of something other than my latest head cold, I thought I’d put the giant bag of white chocolate M&Ms I bought to good use. And yes, these were an impulse purchase. Does anyone else find walking down the candy aisle dangerous? I have no self control so as soon as I saw these giant, colorful, white chocolate candies I knew I had to have them.
Speaking of things I bought on impulse, I’ve been living in these super cozy sweatpants that cost under $20. You read that correctly. Under $20. During dinner at a friend’s house last week, I noticed that she was wearing the most comfortable-looking sweatpants. Turns out she had found them at Costco and was obsessed. It didn’t take long to convince me that I needed a pair to call my own. Luckily they also carry them on Amazon, which I discovered by scanning the barcode of her packaging with the Amazon app. Dear Amazon: Stop making it so easy to shop. Or don’t, that’s fine too.
Enough about my inability to get out of sweatpants and more about these amazing spring cookies. Besides, by the time you read this I’ll be wearing real pants. If not, please send help.
The cookies are gooey but the balance of white and brown sugar makes them taste like cookies rather than something fudgey-er. The white chocolate M&Ms are divine but if you don’t like white chocolate, swap them out for something else. Unlike regular M&Ms, the white chocolate ones are much bigger so they carry more flavor and sweetness – and who doesn’t love that?
My lifestyle blogger friends have all started shooting spring styles for their blogs but I’m not ready to go full spring with my food quite yet. That sounds crazy doesn’t it? I’m not even sure what spring baking looks like but from what I can tell from the Food Network ads for Spring Baking Challenge, it involves a lot of color. My Instagram is a lot of things but unless we’re counting brown, it’s definitely not colorful. Wish me luck as I seek to infuse more color into my recipes without giving up chocolate!
- ¾ cup (1.5 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup (100g) dark brown sugar
- ½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ cup white chocolate M&Ms
- Cream the butter and sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix in the egg, followed by the vanilla extract. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch and baking soda.
- Turn mixer to low and mix dry ingredients into wet. Once combined, mix in the white chocolate M&Ms. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 when ready to bake the cookies and line a baking sheet with a non stick mat. Scoop about 1½ tablespoons of dough for each cookie and place on the baking sheet. Bake cookies for about 10 minutes or until starting to brown around the edges. Let cool for 5 minutes on baking sheet before transferring to cooling rack. Repeat until all fo the dough is used up.
Recipe Adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction’s The Chocolate Chip Cookie