Did you know there’s an election in a few weeks? It’s been a bit hard to miss these past few months. Being Canadian, I don’t get to vote in the US election but that doesn’t mean I don’t get invested in the race. After all, I live in the States so the final decision affects me whether I like it or not.
I’ve always found one of the best ways to get a feel for the candidates and their temperament is to watch the debates leading up November. Of course, no TV viewing event would be complete without a themed snack to match!
These ‘election’ pretzels are pretty much the ideal Sunday snack because a) they are super easy to make and b) they don’t take much time so you can make them during commercial breaks while watching football! Unless of course you have NFL RedZone (guilty) in which case you can just pop yourself in front of the TV while you make these and not miss any of the action.
Pretzels and chocolate have always been a good match because they’re the perfect combination of sweet and salty. Once you master these in time for tomorrow’s debate you can adapt them for just about anything. I brought a test batch of these to book club last week and my taste-testers’ enthusiasm was some of the highest I’ve seen. If you’re also ready to adapt these in the future, here are a few ways to do so:
- Dye the chocolate orange and use only the dark M&Ms for Halloween
- Use red and green sugar crystals for a festive Christmas snack
- Stick to the blue crystals on white chocolate for a festive Hanukkah treat
- Wow your friends during the next Super Bowl by using team colors as your guide to decorating
- 1 Cup white chocolate
- ½ Cup red, white and blue M&Ms
- 2 Tablespoons blue crystals
- 2 Tablespoons cinnamon sugar
- 1-2 Cups of pretzels (depending on how chocolate-y you want to make your treats)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a non-stick mat and set aside.
- Place chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for about 2 minutes or until fully melted, stopping to stir the chocolate every 30 seconds. While chocolate is melting, place M&Ms in a ziplock bag and roll over it with a rolling pin to crush the candies. Place M&Ms in a small bowl and set aside. Do the same with the blue crystals and the cinnamon sugar.
- When the chocolate is melted, remove from microwave and set next to the candies and sugars. Dip pretzel into chocolate and then dip into one of the three topping options. Place on prepared baking sheet and repeat until all of the pretzels are used up. Place baking sheet in fridge to set for about 30 minutes.