It’s no big secret that I watch a lot of Food Network. This past weekend, I got sucked into a Great American Food Truck Race marathon. While it didn’t show nearly enough of Tyler Florence, the show featured a lively group of men from Ohio who were serving up bacon out of their truck. How they did not win every single challenge I’m still not sure.
By the time I peeled myself away from the screen and put my needlepoint canvas down, I was seriously craving bacon. I haven’t made caramel popcorn in a while so I had the fantastic idea to make both of them and put them together! All I can say is that I can’t believe it took me this long to put those ingredients all together.
You can make these as big or small as you want but be warned, eating too much in one sitting will give you a serious sugar rush. I knew I was sharing them at the office so I utilized some mini muffin papers and rolled the popcorn into bite-sized balls.
- 7 Pieces of crispy cooked bacon, chopped
- 6 Cups of popped popcorn
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon water
- ⅓ Cup heavy cream, room temperature
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- On a baking sheet, spread out popcorn and bacon pieces
- Add sugar and water to a medium saucepan and heat over medium high heat until sugar turns a deep amber color, swirling occasionally
- Once sugar has completely melted, remove from heat and mix in heavy cream and salt
- Pour caramel over popcorn and bacon and bake for 20 minutes
- Remove from oven and let cool before molding into balls
Pin for later: